Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. This week we’re talking about historical settings, so I’m going to list five historical settings I love and five that I’d like to see more of! And I decided to surf Pinterest to find some pretty pictures 🙂 Clicking on the picture should take you to the pin.
Top Five Historical Settings I Love
- WWII anything – this is my FAVORITE!
- Victorian England or New York or well, maybe other places too
- Medieval times/the age of Robin Hood
- The Downton Abbey era – turn of the century, WWI, etc.
- French Revolution – mostly because of Jennifer Donnelly’s Revolution.
Top Five Historical Settings I’d Love to See More Of
- Western Expansion – I grew up loving all things Little House on the Prairie. There’s been some good westerns lately, so I’m interested in seeing what else comes out!
- I can’t remember the last time I read something set in the 1960s, but now that I’m thinking about it – I kind of want to!
- Era of Egyptian pharoahs – I’ve had Cleopatra on my shelf forever and need to pick it up. But I’ll always welcome more YA stories in this vein! Mara: Daughter of the Nile was one of the first books I remember checking out of the middle school library.
- The 1910/20s on the wrong side of the tracks – I just started watching Peaky Blinders, so that’s probably where this is coming from.
- I’ll always take more WWII stories!
Whew. This topic was actually really hard for me – I totally kept putting off writing this post, because I just didn’t know what to pick. It’s odd because I feel like I’m someone who loves reading historical fiction. But then I look at this list, and I feel like everything is kind of homogenous. So help a girl out. What historical fiction books are on your MUST list? What should I find and read immediately? I need to branch out!